Welcome to the Kids Department!
The youth side of the library is meant for exploration, wonder, and discovery. We have a wide variety of books, movies, music CDs, and audiobooks, as well as access to emedia, allowing you to take your favorite characters on the road with you through your tablet and smartphone. A warm, smiling face will greet you and will be happy to help you find your next favorite book. Click the links below to learn more about what we offer to the Sugar Grove community.
Education Connection Backpack Bundles
Our new collection of Backpack Bundles are here! Thanks to the Grand Victoria Riverboat Fund, we were able to acquire several new books, DVDs, and multimedia that will compliment your child's elementary school curriculum. We have 8 different backpacks for you to check out including:
- Phonics (Gr. K-1)
- Presidents (Gr. K-2)
- Presidents (Gr. 3-5)
- Civil War (Gr. 4-5)
- Geography & Maps (all ages)
- Science Experiments (all ages)
- S.T.E.A.M. (all ages)
- Reptiles (all ages)
These bundles contain nonfiction books and DVDs, but may also incorporate puzzles, flash cards, or props. They are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books.
Like it or not (or definitely not), cold and flu season is upon us. Having sick, bored, restless kids is stressful, but Sugar Grove Public Library is here to help with Sneezle Packs---tote bags filled with books, movies, video games, and more, completely customized to your child's interests. Just click here to fill out a request form, and our Youth Services staff will put the pack together. All you have to do is pick it up!
Our totes are colorful, but tragically plain. Send your digital or scanned artwork to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring it to the Youth Desk to have it featured on a Sneezle Pack! Just follow these guidelines:
1. Artwork must be your own.
2. Original artwork only -- no copyrighted images, please!
3. Artwork must be able to be put in a scanner.
4. Keep it cheerful! Try to draw something that would make you feel better if you were sick.
5. Artwork must be appropriate for children aged 0-12.
Illinois award books
Every year, the state of Illinois nominates a plethora of books for 3 awards.
- The Monarch Award nominates books appropriate for kids in kindergarten through 3rd grade. A list of all current 2018 nominees can be found here. Click the titles of each book to gain access to information about the book, reviews, and read-a-likes, as well as discussion questions for parents to ask their children.
- The Bluestem Award nominates books appropriate for kids in 3rd through 5th grade. A list of all current 2018 nominees can be found here.
- The Caudill Award nominates books appropriate for kids in 4th through 8th grade. A list of all current 2018 nominees can be found here.
ipad learning stations
2 iPads are available to kids to use at a first-come, first-serve basis as you enter the kids library. Letting a child explore this digital medium is a great way for them to improve hand-eye coordination, build a vocabulary, and learn how and why things react a certain way after interacting with them. They’re loaded with books, educational games, and some familiar faces, like Olaf, Minnie Mouse, and Thomas the Tank Engine. Parents, click here to view our App Guide, and to learn about the different applications your child could be using.
Header image courtesy of Lissette Corirossi with Snowbunny Photography, Inc.