Programs & Special Events
SUMMER READING PROGRAM SIGNUP!!!
---> ADULT SIGNUP - no online registration - pickup packet from adult reference desk!
The kids library offers a wide variety of literary programs, clubs, and special events.
Listed below are all of our events for July 2017.
Or feel free to look at our calendar for library-wide events.
Our librarians put on quite the show during our story times!
- Drop-In Baby Story Time
Ages 0-18 months: Baby Story Time supports early literacy and language skills by encouraging singing, playing, talking, and shared reading. Join us for fun stories, fingerplays, and snuggling in a welcoming environment. Caregivers stay with their children. No registration required!
Mondays: 10:30-11:00am: 7/3, 7/17, 7/31
Wednesdays: 10:30-11:00am: 7/5, 7/19, 8/2
- Toddler Story Time
Ages 18 months-3 years: Toddler Story Time encourages early literacy, and helps develop language skills and social skills through the use of simple books, fun fingerplays, and action rhymes. Children learn the joy of choosing a book and shared reading. Caregivers stay with children. Please register.
Tuesdays: 10:30-11:00am: 7/18
Thursdays: 10:30-11:00am: 7/6, 7/20
- Preschool Story Time
Ages 3-5 years: We read stories, do fun fingerplays, sing songs, play letter-recognition games, make crafts and more. Join us for a fun time and develop literacy, language, and social skills as well as positive associations with reading and the library. Caregivers must stay in library. Please register.
Tuesdays: 10:30-11:10am: 7/11, 7/25
Wednesdays: 10:30-11:10am: 7/12, 7/26
These clubs are geared towards kids in kindergarten through 5th grade.
- Pokemon Club
Grades K-5: Hey, Pokéfans! Come battle other trainers on your 3DS, trade cards, and do Pokémon-related activities on your quest to be the very best (like no one ever was)! Please register.
Grades K-2: Monday, July 3rd, 4:30-5:30pm
Grades 3-5: Wednesday, July 5th, 4:30-5:30pm
- Minecraft Club
Grades 3-5: Play Minecraft with your friends and try the game on different platforms. We’ll have 4 computers available with Minecraft Educational Edition, Minecraft on console, and Minecraft Pocket Edition. Space is limited to 12 kids, no exceptions! A separate registration is required each month. Please register.
Wednesday, July 12th, 4:30-5:30pm
- Books & Cookies Club: "Waylon! One Awesome Thing" by Sara Pennypacker
Grades 3-5: This exciting monthly club includes activities specific to each month’s title. Read each book in advance and come discuss it with other kids your age while sampling delicious cookies. A separate registration is required each month. Please register. Pick up a copy of the book or audiobook at the Youth Reference Desk OR download a digital copy from OverDrive or Axis360, available on our main page.
Thursday, July 13th, 4:30-5:20pm
- Lego Club
Grades K-5: Lego activities include building, games & more. Lego materials provided by SGPL. Creations will be displayed in the library. Please register.
Grades K-2: Monday, July 17th, 4:30-5:30pm
Grades 3-5: Wednesday, July 19th, 4:30-5:30pm
- Curiosity Club: In the Desert
Grades K-2: This fun monthly program includes books, crafts, and activities geared toward curious kids in K-2nd grade. Join us as we explore a new and interesting topic each month. A separate registration is required each month. Please register.
Thursday, July 27th, 4:30-5:20pm
Eric carle birthday party
Saturday, June 24: 10:00am-4:00pm
- Families: Join us for special story times, cute crafts, and tasty treats as we celebrate the author/illustrator who gave us The Very Hungry Caterpillar and more! All events are drop in. No registration necessary.
- 10:30am-3:30pm Crafts
- 11:00-11:30am The Very Hungry Caterpillar Story Time
- 2:00-2:30pm The Nonsense Show Story Time
- Treats throughout the day
Sense-ational family party
Saturday, July 1: 10:30-11:30am
- All ages: Engage all 5 of your senses as you see, hear, smell, touch, and taste through fun, collaborative activities! Please register.
A solar eclipse is coming! -for kids
Tuesday, July 18: 4:30-5:30pm
- Grades 3-6: Through hands-on activities, learn how you can see the upcoming August 21 solar eclipse safely and get a jump on how to view the January 31, 2018 lunar eclipse. Afterward, weather permitting, check out the Sun safely through a telescope! Please register.
Harry potter 4d movie experience
Saturday, July 22: 1:00-3:00pm
- All ages: Feel the wind, smell the sweet air, and interact with the wizarding world like never before! Watch Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone in an interactive experience. Drop in. No registration necessary.
Monday, July 24: 1:00-2:00pm
- Grades K-5: Explore the coral reefs, no scuba equipment required! Learn more about the amazing underwater architects that make up reefs, do hands-on activities, and discover what you can do to help our ocean friends. Please register.