Welcome to the Kids Department!
The youth side of the library is meant for exploration, wonder, and discovery. We have a wide variety of books, movies, music CDs, games, and audiobooks, as well as access to emedia, allowing you to take your favorite characters on the road with you through your tablet and smartphone. A warm, smiling face will greet you and will be happy to help you find your next favorite book. Click the links below to learn more about what we offer to the Sugar Grove community.
Kids Special Events
Enjoy time with your family at the library during Thanksgiving Break.
Drop-in Crafts: Monday and Tuesday: 11am-2pm
Drop-in Family Movies: Monday and Tuesday: 1pm
- Monday: FernGully: The Last Rainforest: G ©Twentieth Century Fox
- Tuesday: Prancer: A Christmas Tale: PG ©2022 Universal Studios
Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 20 & 21
*Library closes early, at 2pm, on Wednesday, Nov. 22
TINY TOTS PLAY GROUP
Ages 0-3 with an adult: Enjoy a play area filled with games, blocks, puzzles, books, and more! While children have fun, they're practicing social and gross motor skills. Program is geared toward kids ages 0-3, but older siblings are welcome.
Monday, Nov. 27: 10:30-11:15am Click here to register with SGPL library card.
Wonderbooks by Playaway
A Wonderbook is a print book with a ready-to-play audiobook inside. Bring some wonder home today! Our Wonderbook collection features over 20 children's books, including picture books, early readers, chapter books, non-fiction books, and graphic novels. Check out the full list of Kids Wonderbooks to enjoy one today!!
Booklists for Kids
From award winning books to anti-racism reading lists, check out our Kids Booklists for great reads!
Story Time Kits
Now you can have Story Times at home! Each Virtual Story Time kit includes links to readalongs, music, movies, and crafts or coloring pages themed around specific holidays or seasons.
- Autumn Story Time Kit
- Thanksgiving Story Time Kit
- Fairy Tales Story Time Kit
- Winter Story Time Kit
- Spring Story Time Kit
- Mother's Day Story Time Kit
- Summer Story Time Kit
Explore More Illinois is a cultural pass program that allows Illinois public library cardholders to get offers from museums, park districts, historical societies, performing and visual arts centers, and other attractions. Explore More Illinois is free and can be accessed 24/7 from any computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Log in with your library card credentials and browse for passes by date or attractions. Make your reservation and print or download your pass shortly before your visit. You can have two active reservations per library card. Please cancel your reservation(s) if unable to attend, otherwise the reservation will count as being used. Remember that once you print or download your pass you cannot cancel your reservation.
Use your library card to checkout passes for free admission or a special discount at participating Chicago area cultural destinations. This includes the popular Brookfield Zoo! Request a pass by clicking here. Passes are now available to request online, and we will email you the pass within 1-2 business days. Once issued, passes are good for 7 days. Only one pass can be issued to a family at a time. For a full list of museums and how the Museum Adventure Program works, click here.
Playaway launchpad tablets
Our collection of Playaway Launchpad tablets has some new additions! We recently acquired seven new pre-loaded educational tablets filled with games that will compliment your preschool or elementary school child's education. We have 20 unique tablets for you to check out including:
- Big Minds! - STEAM (Ages 5-7) #1
- Exploration Station! - STEAM (Ages 3-5) #2
- Science Explosion! - Science (Ages 8-10) #7
- Claws! Paws! And Leggy Things! - Science (Ages 5-7) #9
- Be My Hero! - Real Life Heroes (Ages 5-7) #11
- Curious By Nature! - Critical Thinking (Ages 8-10) #12
- Build It! Fix It! Fun! - Building/Engineering (Ages 3-5) #14
- Backpack of Fun! - Life Skills (Ages 5-7) #15
- I'm Doing All That! - Life Skills (Ages 5-7) #18
- Fur-Ever Reading! (Ages 8+) #19
- Reading Is A Picnic! (Ages 3+) #20
- A Wordy Adventure! (Ages 5+) #21
- The Way I See It! - Creativity (Ages 8+) #23
- *Put on Your Smartypants! (Ages 3+) #24
- *Ready Spaghetti! - School Review (Ages 3+) #25
- *Cluster Pack (Ages 5+) #26
- *Powerful Reader! - Find Your Voice (Ages 8+) #27
- *Rising Reader! - Find Your Voice (Ages 5+) #28
- *Wild About Learning - Animals (Ages 5+) #29
- *Nature & Environment Module (Ages 8+) #30
*New Additions, August 2023
The tablet cases are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books. See the Circulation Desk to check them out.
EDUCATION CONNECTION BACKPACK BUNDLES
Our new collection of Backpack Bundles are here! Thanks to the Grand Victoria Riverboat Fund, we were able to acquire several new books, DVDs, and multimedia that will compliment your child's elementary school curriculum. We have 8 different backpacks for you to check out including:
- Phonics (Gr. K-1)
- Presidents (Gr. K-2)
- Presidents (Gr. 3-5)
- Geography & Maps (all ages)
- Science Experiments (all ages)
- S.T.E.A.M. (all ages)
- Reptiles (all ages)
These bundles contain nonfiction books and DVDs, but may also incorporate puzzles, flash cards, or props. They are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books.
Header image courtesy of Lissette Corirossi with Snowbunny Photography, Inc.