Welcome to the Kids Department!
The youth side of the library is meant for exploration, wonder, and discovery. We have a wide variety of books, movies, music CDs, and audiobooks, as well as access to emedia, allowing you to take your favorite characters on the road with you through your tablet and smartphone. A warm, smiling face will greet you and will be happy to help you find your next favorite book. Click the links below to learn more about what we offer to the Sugar Grove community.
Summer Reading Registration Now Open for sugar grove cardholders!
Crafty Saturdays are back! There will be special space-themed crafts in the Story Time Room from 10:30am-2:30pm one Saturday of each month. No registration necessary.
Saturdays, July 20 & August 10: 10:30am-2:30pm
Tuesday movie matinees
All ages: Join us Tuesday afternoons for kids movies and free popcorn! View movie titles and ratings on our calendar here.
Tuesdays at 1:00pm 7/23, 7/30
Night Time Family Story Time
All ages: Wear your pjs to our Night Time Family Story Time and join Miss Barbara in songs, stories, rhythms, movement and more for the whole family! Please register.
Monday, August 5: 7:00-7:30pm
Playaway launchpad tablets
Our new collection of Playaway Launchpad tablets are here! We recently acquired seven additional pre-loaded educational tablets filled with games that will compliment your preschool or elementary school child's education. We have 17 different tablets for you to check out including:
- Big Minds! - STEAM (Ages 5-7)
- Exploration Station! - STEAM (Ages 3-5)
- From the Inside Out! - Science (Ages 3-5)
- Make the Connection - STEAM (Ages 5-7)
- Minds in Motion! - STEAM (Ages 5-7)
- Science Explosion! - Science (Ages 8-10)
- What's the Count? - Math (Ages 3-5)
- Claws! Paws! And Leggy Things! - Science (Ages 5-7)
- A Day at the Zoo! - Zoo (Ages 3-5)
The tablet cases are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books. See the Youth Services Desk to check them out.
EDUCATION CONNECTION BACKPACK BUNDLES
Our new collection of Backpack Bundles are here! Thanks to the Grand Victoria Riverboat Fund, we were able to acquire several new books, DVDs, and multimedia that will compliment your child's elementary school curriculum. We have 8 different backpacks for you to check out including:
- Phonics (Gr. K-1)
- Presidents (Gr. K-2)
- Presidents (Gr. 3-5)
- Geography & Maps (all ages)
- Science Experiments (all ages)
- S.T.E.A.M. (all ages)
- Reptiles (all ages)
These bundles contain nonfiction books and DVDs, but may also incorporate puzzles, flash cards, or props. They are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books.
Illinois award books
Every year, the state of Illinois nominates a plethora of books for 3 awards.
- The Monarch Award nominates books appropriate for kids in kindergarten through 3rd grade. A list of all current 2020 nominees can be found here.
- The Bluestem Award nominates books appropriate for kids in 3rd through 5th grade. A list of all current 2020 nominees can be found here.
- The Caudill Award nominates books appropriate for kids in 4th through 8th grade. A list of all current 2020 nominees can be found here.
ipad learning station
One iPad is available to kids to use at a first-come, first-serve basis as you enter the kids library. Letting a child explore this digital medium is a great way for them to improve hand-eye coordination, build a vocabulary, and learn how and why things react a certain way after interacting with them. It is loaded with books, educational games, and some familiar faces, like Olaf, Minnie Mouse, and Thomas the Tank Engine. Parents, click here to view our App Guide, and to learn about the different applications your child could be using.
Header image courtesy of Lissette Corirossi with Snowbunny Photography, Inc.