Employment at Sugar Grove Public Library District
The Sugar Grove Public library is seeking an enthusiastic, reliable circulation assistant. We pride ourselves on being a friendly, welcoming place for our patrons. Thus, the ideal circulation assistant will have a friendly greeting for everyone that walks through the doors, will provide consistent, gracious, and friendly service to library staff and patrons and maintain a pleasant demeanor. Ideally, you would also be a skilled multitasker, able to communicate clearly via face to face interaction, email, and telephone conversations.
As our Library is financially challenged, we run with a very small amount of staff and cross training will be essential. Be prepared to do a little bit of everything at our Library; we view it as an opportunity to stretch your wings and grow in ways that do not typically happen in other Libraries. Our challenges lead to your opportunities to learn and contribute. We are a very friendly staff in a gorgeous Library, and looking for our next great team member.
Examples of regular duties:
- Greet visitors as they enter the library, assess their needs, and assist or direct them as appropriate
- Enter and verify member records, accurately handle cash for fines and fees, and research member record status, and resolve or refer issues as appropriate
- Check materials in and out and sort items for shelving
- Assist library users with self-checkout units, copiers, printers, faxes, and low level computer questions
- Take calls at the main switchboard and provide requested information or route to the appropriate department
- Prepare routine reports from the integrated computer library system (ILS) or other services, retrieve materials on hold, search stacks for items requiring attention (lost, missing, label changes, etc.)
- Assist with incoming and outgoing Interlibrary Loan requests and materials
- Other duties as assigned
Abilities, Skills and Requirements:
- Ability and desire to provide outstanding customer service
- Ability to quickly and accurately create, search, retrieve, and edit member records
- Ability to accurately handle cash
- Proficient with MS Office applications (Word, Excel) or equivalent
- Ability to accurately place items in alphabetical and numeric order
- Physical ability to bend, stoop, and crawl; lift up to 35 lbs.; push and pull carts weighing up to 150 lbs.
- General knowledge of Dewey Decimal Classification System, integrated library systems, and network environment
- Library Technical Assistant degree, certificate, coursework, or library experience a plus
- Ability to shift direction quickly to conduct multiple and varied tasks at once.
- Other job duties may also be assigned at a future point.
- Experience with OCLC and ILL practices is a plus
This is a part time position with a pay rate of $12 per hour. This position serves 18 hours per week.
The schedule is currently as follows: Monday 2pm-8pm Tuesday 10am-1pm Thursday 10am-1pm Saturday 10am-4pm
The schedule may be renegotiated depending upon the availability of the right candidate.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Please submit a resume and a letter of interest to Carol McFarland, Circulation Supervisor at email@example.com