Employment at Sugar Grove Public Library District
Youth Services Assistant
25 hours per week, $16-$19 hourly
Desired work schedule (may have some flexibility):
Monday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tuesday: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wednesday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm (Every other week)
Creative & passionate about serving children and their families?
Sugar Grove Public Library is searching for a part time Youth Services Assistant to serve children ages birth to 11 and their families/caregivers. Our community is growing and there is increasing demand for children’s programming, especially early childhood ages 0-5. The right person for this role will bring creativity, innovation, and energy to the community.
Our library has been underfunded, but voters approved an operational increase in funding for the Sugar Grove Public Library District, which will arrive next summer July 2024. Our library is making preparations to our foundation for increased operations, and you’ll be a key part of creating services for our community. Take a virtual tour of our library on google maps!
This position provides a broad range of public services including:
- Storytimes, activities, crafts, clubs, special events, summer reading program
- Reader’s advisory and reference assistance including creating bibliography lists and displays.
- Generates print materials to help market the library, programs, or materials.
- This position often helps with circulation and will be trained in that area for checking materials in/out, creating library cards, and processing fees.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education & experience in early childhood education will be considered.
- Understanding and practice of ALA's Code of Ethics
- One (1) year previous public library or other similar customer service focus experience preferred
- Demonstrated excellence in verbal/written communication skills, including public speaking.
- Strong computer skills required
- Basic graphic design skills required, the Library uses Canva.
To apply for a position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to Nancy Lupo, Youth Services Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Sugar Grove Public Library:
The Sugar Grove Public Library District serves 16,114 residents including the Village of Sugar Grove, Sugar Grove Township, and some residents in Montgomery, Aurora, North Aurora, and Elburn. We are located 50 miles west of Chicago, minutes from I-88. Our facility is 26,000 square feet and was built in 2009. The Library is a member of the SWAN consortium and shares resources with 100 other member libraries. The Library is open 50 hours a week: Monday – Thursday: 10am- 8pm, Saturday 10am – 4pm, and Sunday 2pm – 6pm. Library voters approved increased operational funding for the budget year beginning July 2024, and we are looking for someone to grow with us!
Sugar Grove Public Library District is committed to providing materials, services, and programs that represent a wide array of cultures and experiences so that all members of the community feel included and represented. Sugar Grove Public Library District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sugar Grove Public Library District prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Library is not currently a member of IMRF (Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund), but intends to join.
To apply for a position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com
Search for more Illinois Library jobs on the RAILS job board: https://www.railslibraries.info/jobs
Volunteering is a great way to learn about how libraries operate and get practical experience if you are interested in working in libraries. Click here to view more information about volunteering at our library.